Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Can a surgical mask keep me from breathing mold spores?

We live in a house where there was a water leak and mold growing. I am very allergic to mold. we are moving in 9 days but as the days go by I am getting sicker and sicker. We need to finish packing... If I wear a regular surgical type mask, will it keep the spores out so I dont get sicker?Can a surgical mask keep me from breathing mold spores?
Mold spores are often in the 10 to 100 micron size range, which is pretty small! I suspect the paper-type mask you're thinking of using has tiny pores which are larger than that, as well as gaps around the sides. You'd need an industrial or medical grade respirator to completely avoid breathing in the mold. I don't think the surgical mask will hurt anything, and I suppose it's worth a try, but it may not help much more than giving you a feeling of safety.





Have you thought of putting a HEPA room air cleaner in the area? Have you washed all areas of visible mold with dilute bleach solution? Have you discarded all porous materials and belongings that were wet or appear/smell moldy? Are you working with your doctor to be sure you're on the right medications for your allergies? Have you considered hiring someone to do the work for you?





Maybe some of these ideas will help. Good luck!Can a surgical mask keep me from breathing mold spores?
It will help. My husband and I have to do the same thing when we're mowing the lawn, or doing anything that might kick up a lot of dust. It saves us a LOT of misery.





Good luck!
You might buy yourself an N95 surgical mask. If you wear it properly it will reduce your exposure

No comments:

Post a Comment