Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What is the best method to tape off areas for painting? I've tried blue & masking tape, straight edge, etc

I can't get a straight edge when painting and I've tried blue tape, straight edges, small brushes. I hate to paint because i spend so much time touching up areas where paint has krept under the tape. Thanks for the advice.What is the best method to tape off areas for painting? I've tried blue %26amp; masking tape, straight edge, etc
I have always had the best success using blue tape. You can't leave it up for as long as suggested on the package. The faster you can tape and paint and get the tape off. The better your chances of having straight lines. Apply the side of the tape you want your line on first and then flatten out the tape to the other side.What is the best method to tape off areas for painting? I've tried blue %26amp; masking tape, straight edge, etc
I tape with the masking tape made for painting. then I run a straight edge just under the paint brush. This usually keeps a really crisp line.
if you're talking windows, hardware and such.... vaseline them. then when you splotchon the area you can wipe if off once the paint has started to dry on the surface. other areas.... i'm with you.... i spend more time taping then i do painting. the main thing for me is i use the blue tape in maybe 8'; pieces. it takes long and i use more tape but i get a straighter edge. now in a bedroom where i could not get my two colors cornered together for the life of me.... i cheated.... i got a dark complimentary color cording and tacked it allolng the three angles in the room. it blocked the screw up's and boy do i get the compliments!! i have popcorn cielings so i use the little (2';-3';)throw away brushes from home depot and just take my time -- works great as their tips are rather thin.
You could try wrapping an elastic band around the base of the bristles to stop them from coming apart. It should give you a neat edge.
Here's the key, when you paint with tape you don't slop it all over, paint as if there was no tape and when you 1st put your paint on your wall start a couple of inches away from your cut in line resulting in not allot of paint near the edge of tape so it doesn't seep under the tape. Kleen Edge and the blue or colored tapes are best. The regular masking tape is the worst! Different colors in tape represent the tack time. I paint a wall at a time and when that wall is done I suggest you take your tape off. I rarely have to use tape but when I do this is my procedure. good luck
Let's take door trim, for example; say the walls are beige and the trim is white. One method I use is to mask around the trim you are wanting to paint with painters tape. Then, instead of first painting the trim white, paint the area where the tape meets the trim the same color as the walls, in this case, the beige. When the beige dries, paint the trim white. This way, the only paint that will bleed under the tape is the one that matches the wall color. Be careful pulling the tape off.
  • microsoft updates
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment